www.yamin-it.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fan owned and operated website and forum

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Elliott and the Oscar Mayer Sing the Jingle contest

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tink
Webmaster
Webmaster
Tink

Female Number of posts : 395
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Elliott and the Oscar Mayer Sing the Jingle contest Empty
PostSubject: Elliott and the Oscar Mayer Sing the Jingle contest   Elliott and the Oscar Mayer Sing the Jingle contest Icon_minitime1August 9th 2007, 3:56 pm

http://singthejingle.com/MeetIdol/PerfTips.aspx
This is from the Oscar Mayer Sing the Jingle contest. Some really interesting stuff in there. There is also a chance to chat live with Elliott so make sure you check it out!! Elliott and the Oscar Mayer Sing the Jingle contest 747610

We asked Elliott all about what it takes to be a singer on the American Idol stage!

How do you prepare for a performance, any rituals? When do you begin preparing for your performance?

The only ritual I really have is I make sure I drink a lot of water the night before and day of my performance. I also always prefer to perform on somewhat of an empty stomach... I like to work up an appetite on stage. That's about it... I've never really been superstitious.

What do you drink before you sing?

Water...and sometimes I'll chew on some ginger root.

How do you begin learning a new song? What is more important: the lyrics, the notes, or both? What are the steps that you take?

I start with a melody and notes first...much like how I approach my writing process. Then, the lyrics come easier for me... After that, it's on to the arrangement of the song in its totality.

Explain a drill or exercise that helps you prepare for a performance and explain what it does for you. Can you ever grow out of these exercises?

Well sometimes I like to do calisthenics...to get the oxygen flowing. That helps keep me from getting winded but I draw most of my energy from the crowd, and just pure adrenaline.

How do you select a song to sing and how important is the song that you select? How so?

On the show, I enjoyed picking songs that I knew I love to sing...no matter how obscure! I don't care how many people are familiar with the song...I enjoy introducing people to new music that they otherwise wouldn't listen to. What matters is the emotion you put into it, making it your own.

How do you know when to take a breath while singing a song? Does being nervous change your breathing pattern on stage?

Haha...honestly, I don't know. It's really all about timing, and picking and choosing the pockets of time to breathe throughout the song. I haven't yet been properly trained on breathing techniques...you tend to develop your own when you've been singing as long as I have. For me, being nervous has always changed the way I breathe. I breathe a lot faster and get more flustered, but I got over that after my American Idol experience.

Besides training your voice, what are the other demands of a singer/performer?

I'd say to just make sure you manage your time wisely and use every opportunity to rest the vocal chords when time allows. I find that drinking lots of water, keeping my body as hydrated as possible, and getting exercise makes all the difference.

How many hours a week do you spend practicing your voice? How do you know when you are ready to perform a song?

Opportunities in this business are seldom. So when the time comes, you have to always be ready to perform to the best of your ability. So I'm always working on it everyday...

What do you do if you forget the lyrics to a song? Has this ever happened to you?

Oh boy! I made quite a habit of forgetting lyrics on that American Idol stage...but I learned how to handle it much better along the way. I learned first of all not to make it so obvious...by way of adlibbing, or getting the crowd involved.

Do you ever get 'stage fright'? How do you deal with it? What is your biggest fear on- stage?

My biggest fear on stage is that my mind will go blank and I'll totally forget my lyrics... forget everything. It's happened a few times and it's really embarrassing! I don't really get stage fright anymore. Sometimes I get really anxious... I used to make my friends turn off all the lights and I'd sing in the dark, or go in the other room. I was always scared to see people's reactions when I would sing.

What is a 'monitor' and why is it important to a singer on stage?

Monitors are our own PA systems on stage, they are speakers on stage, facing us, so we can hear our voice and the music. In small venues, they are perfect...but sometimes in arenas and stadiums, or any big outdoor events, I like to use my in-ear monitors because of all of the [stadium] feedback.

When singers are on stage it seems as if they are looking at someone or something, so what are you looking at?

I look at the crowd. Sometimes when I'm really in a zone...I'll close my eyes. But for the most part, I think it's important to make eye contact with the crowd...it becomes more personal that way.
Back to top Go down

Elliott and the Oscar Mayer Sing the Jingle contest
Page 1 of 1