www.yamin-it.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fan owned and operated website and forum

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Elliott Yamin: Fighting Diabetes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Angie
Webmaster
Webmaster
Angie

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Elliott Yamin: Fighting Diabetes Empty
PostSubject: Elliott Yamin: Fighting Diabetes   Elliott Yamin: Fighting Diabetes Icon_minitime1September 18th 2007, 7:47 am

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/entertainment/9787272.html

The American Idol star says "it's OK to have diabetes and still dream big"
(BI) Sara Feldkamp

ALEXANDRIA, Va. -- Elliott Yamin, the American Idol star who's just launched a skyrocketing solo career, had to learn the hard way how important it was to manage his diabetes.

In the October issue of the American Diabetes Association's Diabetes Forecast magazine, Yamin talks openly about his diagnosis at age 16 -- and how hard it is to manage his diabetes while keeping up a busy schedule as a pop star.

Being diagnosed as a teenager was tough. "I didn't understand how I could go from being a normal kid to, overnight, having this lifelong disease that was incurable," says Yamin.

While other kids were just worrying about getting their drivers' licenses, Yamin had more serious concerns. "Luckily, I had the support of my endocrinologist, my other doctors, my mom" -- who has type 2 diabetes -- "and my family."

Today, it's his full schedule as an American Idol finalist and a recording artist for Hickory Records that's a challenge for the 29-year-old. In addition to diligently testing his blood sugar, Yamin says that using an insulin pump has made a big difference.

"The pump has been a godsend for me. I've had it for about 6 years and ever since then I've really been able to manage my blood sugar," he says. "I have really learned how to count carbs and also wear my insulin pump, which is more conducive to my lifestyle now."

Yamin is riding high with a newly released self-titled CD that debuted as #3 on the Billboard 200 and made his new artist debut on an independent label. He's also learned to use his newfound fame as a platform for his other passion: fighting diabetes.

Recently he came to Washington to advocate for more government funding of diabetes. "There's so much money that pours in and I want to be a big part of the biggest part, which is making sure that the money is used properly and making sure that we have enough money to really make a difference."
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/yaminit

Page 1 of 1