www.yamin-it.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fan owned and operated website and forum

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Idol's Elliott Yamin Still "Funky"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Angie
Webmaster
Webmaster
Angie

Female Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2007-08-04

Idol's Elliott Yamin Still "Funky" Empty
PostSubject: Idol's Elliott Yamin Still "Funky"   Idol's Elliott Yamin Still "Funky" Icon_minitime1December 19th 2007, 5:13 pm

http://www.miamiherald.com/358/story/345517.html

Y100 JINGLE BALL
Idol's Elliott Yamin still `funky'
Posted on Sat, Dec. 15, 2007

Although Elliott Yamin finished third in Season 5's American Idol behind Katharine McPhee and winner Taylor Hicks, he was considered by some, including caustic judge Simon Cowell, to be the best singer of the bunch. Paula Abdul gushed that he was ''one funky white boy.'' Today, Yamin has a gold record and is performing at Saturday's Y100 Jingle Ball at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise along with Good Charlotte, Plain White T's, OneRepublic, Sean Kingston and Flo Rida.

But he still sounds like that humble kid from Richmond, Va.

• Q: When did it start to hit you that this music thing just might work out?

• A: I think when Stevie Wonder told me to pursue a career. We actually got to sit down with him next to the piano. I didn't expect him to come in -- they kept it a surprise from us that day. I was moved to tears like a teenage girl. Also, when I got my publishing deal. It really got the ball rolling and it started to validate me.

• Q: Do you have any personal favorite American Idol performances?

• A: Yeah I do -- Moody's Mood for Love, A Song For You and probably Trouble.

• Q: Two years ago, what did you think you'd end up doing for a career?

• A: I honestly didn't have any career aspirations. I was in between jobs -- I had been working in collections for five years and I hated it. It had good benefits and everything, but that's obviously not what I wanted to do as a career. Even though music was my passion, I didn't really pursue it.

My friends encouraged me to go try out and stop being a bum -- they were mad at me because they supported me so much. They regarded my talent more than I did. It took a long time to realize that it was a gift and I had to use it.

• Q: What's new on your iPod right now?

• A: I've been getting into a lot of older stuff lately, like Donald Fagen's The Nightfly. I've also been digging on this old group called Cymande -- and Chris Brown's new record, 'cause he's from my hometown.

• Q: It seems pretty amazing that your pitch is so good, even with being almost completely deaf in your right ear. How much does that raise your degree of difficulty?

• A: It's never really bothered me or been a hindrance at all. It's never affected the way I sing. I think over the years my left ear has gotten even stronger. Music is something that you have to feel, and I've always felt it in my body.

• Q: Do you keep in touch with any Idol contestants?

• A: I do, with Taylor [Hicks] and Ace [Young] and Bucky [Covington] and Mandisa, and I talk to Chris [Daughtry] every now and again. We're all good friends, rooting for each other.

• Q: How often do you visit Miami?

• A: I was down here over the summer three months ago -- I was doing a small media tour and then we played in Fort Lauderdale. This is my third time in Miami in the past six months.

• Q: What do you think about it?

• A: I love the weather, the women are beautiful and the ratio is great, too. It seems like there's always more women than men on South Beach. It's just a great party town -- the Vegas of the East Coast. Every time I come down I'm shown a great time and I always look forward to coming back.

-- MICHAEL HAMERSLY
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/yaminit
concertcris
Yamin It Member
Yamin It Member
concertcris

Female Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2007-08-10

Idol's Elliott Yamin Still "Funky" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Idol's Elliott Yamin Still "Funky"   Idol's Elliott Yamin Still "Funky" Icon_minitime1December 19th 2007, 8:04 pm

Idol's Elliott Yamin Still "Funky" 784724 Good article. I am so glad that he is still friendly with so many of the idols. He is definitely one awesome talent!

Idol's Elliott Yamin Still "Funky" 534172
Back to top Go down

Idol's Elliott Yamin Still "Funky"
Page 1 of 1